Monday, May 7, 2007

Lily Allen: Alright Still

Some of you might think "Kevin, you're doing another non-ska review?"
Well not really....

You may have heard of Lily Allen already if you listen to popular radio or watch MTV and such; the single Smile is quite popular. I actually hate popular radio and MTV; but I happen to stumble across this song when me and my roommate were watching Next (we like to make fun of the people, I mean seriously). It was catchy, cheeky, cute, and a little different. Plus the more research I did the more impressed I was with the fact that she actually does write her own music and most of the songs on this album were composed and recorded by her in some form before her break. Thats a rarity in today's popular scene.

Ok so like I said this isn't really a non-ska review (and I might get backlash for this). Lily Allen has heavy roots in the 2-tone and what I like to call the British Reggae scene. Even on her myspace (which I'm to understand she does run herself) she lists The Specials as an influence. Now I wouldn't say you can really here that influence in her music unless you were really listening to it. Some of the timbres of the music run rooted to that Specials sound around the era of their second album to the In the Studio years.

The first song and single of the album Smile is simply great (like I already mentioned). The kinda poppy Reggae sound and cheeky lyrics are really grabbing. This general idea carries through the album with a few other songs breaking it up. Notable songs like this would be LDN, Not Big, Friday Night etc. Then the other theme in this album goes from odd Hip-Hop maybe, to others that just really stand on their own. The best songs are definitely the Poppy Brit style Reggae songs. It is indeed her niche. But she can definitely write other outside that; the semi ballad Littlest Things sounds real good. The lyrics on this album are pretty sweet. They can be sorta over simplified in a few places but I dig the kinda cute yet real gritty lyrics. One example would be from the song Shame for You: "Spreading your seed all over the town. Getting two greedy and messing around. Oh my gosh you must be joking me, if you think that you'll be poking me. " Hillarious...

There are some downfalls to this album though. Even though real musicians are used on this album the entire album has a sampled feel and sound to it. To me and probably others this can grow weary on the ears. Also a few songs run a little long, adding some la sounds or just long instrumental breaks or even another repeat of the chorus when the song should of just be on its way out. Some people might find the off color (and by that I mean off from the general theme of the album) a tun off. The sudden semi rap in Knock 'Em Out is an example of an abrupt change that is only really in that song and can be kind of a turn off; or Alfie (which is just very silly). I'll be honest too you may be turned off by the lyrics if you listen to it with too much serious feelings. They are meant to be tongue and cheek I think more than anything and if you don't like that or feel it, you won't enjoy it.

It is a good album and I'm highly surprised. So many popularised artists have just one good hit and they push it to sell the album, and you find there is a reason why you never heard any of the other songs off the album. But the writing is solid and the music is catchy. If you dig that Brit Pop sound with some Reggae it is highly for you.

B+

No comments: